Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Video Central -new video sharing site from LGFL

Last year I played about with the then Alpha version of LGFLs Video Central. It was frustrating because it just didn't seem to stream reliably. However now all the glitches appear to be fixed and it looks like it works.

Video Central is the LGFL answer to video hosting. It allows a maximum upload of 1024mb and works in a similar fashion to the podcast site,uploads are quick and the embed code is easy to locate and yes users need to dig out that Atomwide account to make it work.

So why not just use Youtube - of course Youtube is fine, but there are issues- many users are not clear how to tweak settings so that when you embed your video on a blog it avoids linking to so called 'related videos'. Also some parents have a negative perception of Youtube as it reaches a wider audience and though it contains educational content that content shares a server with some very undesirable clips. I still think Youtube is an excellent tool for educators and pupils, though users need to exercise caution when they use it.

Teachertube is an option but as the streaming is so slow it can take an age for a video to appear.

Here is a video that Simon Haughton made for me on Sketchup, lets see how it stands up to being embedded in Blogger.


I tested this yesterday and was puzzled that at first there was a no-show. I shouldn't have worried,I had forgotton that I was on the borough admin network, which blocks pretty much most things.When I got home it showed fine on my machine and after a call for help from my Twitter colleagues it seemed to show fine in New Zealand, London and Scotland. It should also work fine on Redbridge schools curriculum network too.

As there was no sound on this original video, I have now uploaded a second more tuneful clip of Leo using the IWB.



I think teachers now have a safe and easy means of sharing all those great clips on their blogs and MLE. I look forward to seeing these appear on Redbridge websites in the coming months.

No comments: